Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why 'gallimaufry'?

I began looking for a catchy title for my blog and came across this word and the definition just fit so perfectly to what I want to do here... "a hodgepodge; jumble; confused medley". Then I looked at the origin... "a hash of various kinds of meats" - I'm sure I'll ramble on plenty about foods... "to rejoice, to make merry, to eat much, to open one's mouth wide." - I hope this will be a joyful and merry, confused medley of ramblings on food and life and adventures for you and for me. I'd love to hear from you. This is all new for me - a bit of an adventure on it's own! 


Today I went to Barnes & Noble to look at cookbooks... cookbooks with pictures... cookbooks that normally I would put back on the shelf and say 'I don't even know what those ingredients are!' and 'I'd never make that.' You know which ones I mean. This time I sought those out and sat at a table by the window and meandered my way through the recipes, being lured in by the unique tastes they boasted and the fancy plating used to show off the chef's skills. I founds three that I really want! But dutifully I came home without any to check and see if I can find them online cheaper. But before leaving empty-handed, I stopped and got myself a delicious decaf cinnamon dolce Frappachino for .65 cents (I love using up leftover giftcards!!), which I enjoyed all the way home - and even now!


You're probably wondering why I need these new enticing cookbooks... well, here's the thing: I'm tired of food. It's all been boring and the same old same old humdrum 'eat because I have to' meals. And I'm ready for a change! Thankfully my best friend & roommate is up for the adventure with me. So to start things off I went on Saturday to the local Farmer's Market and grabbed nearly everything that I've never had before: leeks, kale, rainbow swiss chard, shitake mushrooms, fennel, pink pomelo... along with a few 'normals': cauliflower, cabbage, carrots... and a favorite: asian pear.


So off we go... I look forward to having you along!

No comments: