Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dinner....


Where to start... How about the beginning of  yesterday, seems like a good place. Woke up to a sunny morning, encouraging me to head off to the Farmer's Market to get some butternut squash, more carrots and fennel. I went earlier this week to see if there was more selection since I had heard the farmers talking about running out of some things by 9am - let me put it this way, the produce I found this time was even more beautiful then last week!

Bringing it home the kitties, Liz (shown in this picture) & Daisy, showed great interest in what I bought - sniffing and playing with the leaves and, Liz especially, doing whatever she could to get to the produce - going as lar as to jump onto the counter to see though she knows full well that's not acceptable! Once I was home I began to plan the soup I wanted to create... Let me just say, some plans 'sound' sooooo much better then they taste...

But, before I get there I'll share some of the journey that made this realization realized. Around 2pm or so I started on the soup... I cut and roasted the butternut squash with a little butter - boy, that smelled wonderful! While that was roasting I chopped and prepped the other vegetables that I wanted to roast. My idea was puree all these veggies into a smooth and creamy soup... Well, about halfway through chopping them  I had a little light-bulb-moment and stopped and looked at my friend who was working on her computer at the breakfast bar - "We don't own a blender."  How could I forget we didn't have a blender!? After much laughter we decided to head to Target to find one after the vegetables where done cooking. We went to the mall and after checking several stores I decided on a food processor from Target which we then took home and I proceeded to blend all the veggies together.... And that's where the enjoyable experience ends and the disturbing concoction begins. Let's just say this, I tried to salvage the soup while heating it with butter and herbs and half 'n half... but even the sauteed pearl onions, cinnamon and parmesan cheese that we garnished it with didn't do much for what we dubbed "Gluten-Free Cream of Wheat Soup". Did you know that when you put enough different vegetables together they all basically cancel each other out and don't taste like anything in the end? They do. Also did you know that when the batch that has the cauliflower in it isn't pureed long enough it comes out the texture of a perfectly prepared bowl of Cream of Wheat cereal? It does. So yeah... I have put half of the "soup" in the fridge to see if I can do anything to salvage it. The other half, well, as it was so kindly put during dinner last night - has been disposed of the same way we do the kitty litter - tied up in a bag and thrown in the trash! After all, we didn't want to have to call the plumber! 

No comments: